TSN stands for Time Sensitive Networking. It is the name of the IEEE 802.1 Task Group responsible for standards at Data Link Layer. This group provides the specifications that will allow time-synchronized, low latency, streaming services through IEEE 802 networks.
TSN is unique in that its streams are delivered with guaranteed bandwidth and deterministic latency. There are many features involved in the multiple standards currently under development. Some of the most relevant features and associated standards are:
- Synchronization: The synchronization is based on IEEE 1588-2008 protocol. A specific profile is defined at IEEE 802.1AS.
- Preemption: The concept of preemption is supported in TSN. A higher priority frame can interrupt the lower priority frame transmission in order to reduce the latency of time-sensitive streams (IEEE 802.1Qbu & IEEE 802.3br).
- Traffic shaper: In order to achieve the theoretical lowest possible latency in engineered networks, the Time Aware Shaper functionality is introduced in TSN. This works with applications where time-critical data is sent on regular periodic intervals and it is based on adding time gates on each queue on a port.
- Redundancy: The high-availability on TSN can be achieved by adding frame replication and elimination as defined in IEEE 802.1CB. In a similar way as defined for HSR, the frames include a sequence number and they are replicated. Each copy is sent through a different path in the network.
Time Aware Traffic Shaping
TSN is evolving and it is targeting different sectors, like Automotive, Industry, Broadcasting and Aerospace. Therefore, it is expected switching implementations that combine a subset of the available standards and features. This flexibility can be achieved through reconfigurable logic (FPGAs), HDL IPs and embedded software. Thus, programmable SoCs are perfect candidates for TSN implementations.
SoC-e provides technology to integrate these functionalities in the following product:
- Multiport TSN Switch (MTSN) IP Core
- Multiport TSN Switch (MTSN) KIT
- 12x port Multiport TSN Switch (MTSN) KIT
For more information, please contact us at: email@example.com